Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

Our History

History Notes

  • 1923 – Pennsylvania State College (not yet a university)  established a branch school in the city of Scranton – offering evening technical institute programs
  • 1951 – the school was renamed The Scranton Center and began offering day and evening courses
  • 1953 – courses were redesigned as associate degree programs
  • 1968 – moved to its current location in Dunmore and was named Penn State Worthington Scranton
    (also began offering the first two years of PSU bachelor’s degree programs) 
  • 1995 – offered the first campus baccalaureate degree program

History of Penn State & the Worthington Scranton Campus
The Pennsylvania State University was chartered in 1855 as the Farmer’s High School. A pioneer institution designed to provide higher education for all qualified students, it admitted its first students in 1859 and graduated its first class in 1861. Renamed the Agricultural College of Pennsylvania in 1862, it became the land grant college of the Commonwealth in 1863. The name was changed again in 1874 to the Pennsylvania State College, and in 1953 to The Pennsylvania State University. The Worthington Scranton campus is named in memory of Worthington Scranton (1876–1955), a prominent industrialist and civic leader of northeastern Pennsylvania. The campus, one of twenty- three Penn State facilities throughout the Commonwealth, is located on a forty-five-acre tract of land just off Exit 188 (Throop) of Interstate 81.

Penn State History

Penn State Historical Marker

The Alma Mater

Penn State Myths

All Things Nittany