The minor in Information Sciences and Technology is structured to provide students not majoring in IST with the theoretical frameworks and skill sets necessary to compete and be productive in the information technology-intensive global context that defines the new "Information Age." Specifically, the minor will be focused on a program that will build an understanding of core information technologies and related areas of study; will prepare students for the practical application of various information sciences and related technologies; and engage students in sharpening their abilities to think critically and to work in teams. All this will be done with the intent to expose students to the cognitive, social, institutional, and global environments of Information Sciences and Technology and to then apply that knowledge as a supplement to their major.
Courses for the IST Minor:
Prescribed Courses (10 credits):
IST 110: Information, People and Technology (3 credits)
IST 210: Organization of Data (4 credits)
IST 220: Networking and Telecommunications (3 credits)
Additional Course (3 credits):
IST 250: New Media and the Web (3 credits)
IST 301: Information and Organizations (3 credits)
IST 302: IT Project Management (3 credits)
Additional Courses (6 credits):
IST 4XX: Emerging Issues and Technologies* (3-6 credits)
IST 431: The Information Environment (3 credits)
IST 432: Legal and Regulatory Environment of Information Science and Technology (3 credits)
* Students may select 3-6 credits from the following: IST 451, IST 452 or IST 454 (offered at WS); IST 402, IST 441, IST 446, IST 453, IST 461, or IST 462. (offered at other campuses and/or World Campus).
Applying for the IST Minor:
- Application for minors will be accepted anytime after a student has achieved at least fifth semester classification. However, a student must apply and be accepted before the end of the regular add/drop period of his/her final semester.
- Students must apply for a minor by using the new MINOR DECLARATION application on the eLion navigation bar.
- A grade of C or better is required for all courses in this minor.
- Information Sciences & Technology